Saturday, October 1, 2016

Ghosts and Goblins: THE COUNTDOWN TO HALLOWEEN (Day 1)

The Countdown begins now…

Here’s a brief reminder of what the “Countdown to Halloween” is all about:  Every year a group of bloggers ban together and agree to post blogs about the coming holiday all throughout the month of October for the purpose of celebrating the season.  One can follow all of the participants through the link below:



One can find such treasures in another’s trash.  As is usually the case, I find, with library book sales and friends of library book sales.  This year the treasure is an old children’s anthology entitled GHOSTS AND GOBLINS compiled by Wilhelmina Harper.




Now, my copy isn’t as attractive as these pictures of it in it’s real glory.  Mine has been rebound in one of those typical hardbacks that libraries provide to keep the true innards around for a few more years.  And they were successful… it lived in that library for half a century.

And, speaking of libraries… Miss Harper was born in Maine and worked in libraries in France and New York City before moving to California where she reorganized the Redwood City Public Library where she was librarian for many years.  She’s taught courses in children’s literature and in library work.  Miss Harper has compiled the companion volumes to Ghosts and Goblins entitled Easter Chimes, The Harvest Feast and Merry Christmas to You.  What Wilhelmina Harper is probably most recognized for, however, is her retelling of  The Gunniwolf.




One of the poems added when she revised this book was a fun little ditty by the late great Mr. Sandburg…



Theme in Yellow
by Carl Sandburg

I spot the hills
With yellow balls in autumn.
I light the prairie cornfields
Orange and tawny gold clusters
And I am called pumpkins.
On the last of October
When dusk is fallen
Children join hands
And circle round me
Singing ghost songs
And love to the harvest moon;
I am a jack-o’-lantern
With terrible teeth
And the children know
I am fooling.




This month I have a few ideas of things to feature, but I’ll give you a more complete accounting of these plans tomorrow.  It’s more of a last minute thing for me this year, but that doesn’t mean I haven’t the material to entertain for 31 days, however!
Oh, don’t you worry—I’ve got the goods!

This is...
THE GOODS.

No comments: